In this blog post, we will explain in detail why working from your basement home office is a good idea. Next, we will go over considerations for your basement office space that must be addressed. Finally, to happily work from home in the basement, you’ll want to add some style to your office with the help of a professional.
Transforming Your Basement into an Office is a Good Idea
- Colorado weather and traffic can be bonkers. Even if you can get into the office, you would waste hours each way, ensuring that you start work and end work late. Depending on your employer’s policy, you may be encouraged to stay off the road and complete your work from home. Having a dedicated space for your home office facilitates you being able to concentrate on your work.
- More Colorado employees are telecommuting or work for themselves. If you transform your basement, unfinished or finished, into a home office, you have made your house more attractive for resale. A study from late 2015 shows that Colorado has the highest telecommuting rate in the country with 6.9% of employees. Boulder has the most telecommuting employees with 10.6% and Denver comes in second with 7%.
- Your basement is separate from the main living areas and away from the street noise (and family noise) of the rest of the house.
- Your basement office will be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Steps to Take Before Converting Your Basement Home Office
- Schedule an inspection with a contractor like Castle Builds to make sure your basement is suitable for an office.
- Plan the space to be as far as possible from noisy heaters, laundry machines, or TVs.
- Consider whether you will want to add plumbing for a bathroom or if you want to run upstairs to answer nature’s call.
- Check with an internet provider to make sure high speed internet can be wired to the space.
- Do you need to have a separate entrance for your converted office space? Do clients visit you? You would not want them to wander past your dirty laundry so take into account how people will move through the space.
Professionals Can Help You Complete Your Basement to Office Overhaul
A professional contractor and builder like the Castle Building Company will convert your unfinished basement into a functioning home office. We will install lighting, put up drywall, and build storage and cabinetry to maximize your lower level. We can add a bathroom and reroute the wiring and heating to ensure you can stay warm and on task. If you need to section off the office, we can work within your home’s parameters to create a second entrance. In addition, we can recommend interior designers who have helped us showcase our spaces in the past.