What older homes lack in space they often make up for in charming details. Unfortunately, many suburbs outside of Metro Denver were developed in the post WWII era and these homes want for historic touches. No matter the age of your home, if you want a more vintage feel, it may be time to explore how you can retrograde your home into a timeless treasure. You can add historic touches with or without a contractor’s help.
1) Historic Flooring
Consider installing laminate wood floors with unique washes. With proper care these will last 15-30 years.
But if you want long lasting floors that will attract future buyers, consider real wood floors.
Solid wood floors do cost more and may not work on every level of your home. If there is any kind of moisture in the area, solid hardwood floors are not recommended. Furthermore, if you are installing on top of concrete, an engineered wood floor would be best.
2) Interior Door Choices add Historic Touches
- Pocket doors – These are space saving, versatile and unique.
- Bi-folding French doors – These give a classic look and also work well when space is at a premium. They may be used on closets and laundry rooms.
- Swinging doors – These come in handy when you don’t have an open floor plan and you will open and close all doors each time you enter and leave a room. As someone with dogs and a young child can attest, having swinging doors would add charm and practicality to my everyday routine.
- Barn doors – Function well in many interior rooms and bring in a rustic or sleek look depending on the hardware and paint you choose. See our related blog post about barn doors we have constructed.
Along with the doors described above, built-ins are usually found in older homes where space was a premium. But just as retrograde floors and doors, built-ins are practical AND aesthetically pleasing. Options include adding them to dining rooms, living rooms, hallways, closets and below your stairs.
Just because you live in a modern home doesn’t mean you can’t have old-fashioned finishes. Call Castle Builds to discuss how we can give your house a classic look.